This beautiful little ‘tin tabernacle’ started its life over 100 years ago as an adult school in East Brent, some three miles away. At the end of the Great War in 1918, it was decided to purchase the building and transport it to Edithmead to become a Mission Church for the community to worship in. Summer of 1919 saw the Church being packed up and brought to Edithmead where it was rebuilt on the edge of a local field belonging to Edithmead Farm. The Parish Church of St Andrew’s at Burnham on Sea is the parent church and over the last hundred years they have provided clergy to take the services at Edithmead. The church has been continually used since it was brought to the village.
Over the years, the congregation has looked after the building and most of the repairs and general maintenance have been completed by the local community. The outside is painted regularly to protect the metal cladding but they soon noticed that the windows, which were still the original installations, were slowly leaking into the walls and had become unfit for purpose.
An application was submitted to Viridor Credits and in October 2018, they were awarded £5,697 to replace six large and two small windows.