Athelstaneford is a village roughly 20 miles east of Edinburgh. Local legend has it that the Scottish Saltire flag originated from here. The village hall is the only covered communal space in the village; a village without shops, cafes or a pub. The village hall dates from 1929. The interior of the hall was last refurbished in the 1990s and was starting to look its age. A new project was devised to refurbish the hall, turning it into a modern, attractive and user-friendly facility. Viridor Credits awarded £50,000 towards the interior decoration, resulting in a community facility this historic village can be proud of.